Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
From Simply Vibrant by Anya Kassoff © 2018 by Anya Kassoff. Photographs © 2018 by Masha Davydova. Reprinted in arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc.
Peach And Tomato Panzanella
In this more traditional take on panzanella, toasted chunks of bread absorb the juices of sun-ripened tomatoes and sweet, blushed peaches; red onion and crunchy cucumber add savory flavor, and a simple, bright dressing ties it all together.
Serves 4 to 6 | SUMMER
For The Vinaigrette
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime or lemon juice
- 11/2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For The Salad
- 1/2 loaf ciabatta bread or other bread of choice, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1-1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Sea salt
- 3 ripe peaches, halved and pitted
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into 8 wedges
- 1-1/2 teaspoons melted neutral coconut oil or olive oil
- 2 ripe heirloom tomatoes or approximately 2 cups heirloom cherry tomatoes
- 1 small English cucumber, sliced
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Arrange the bread on the prepared baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and sprinkle with sea salt. Transfer to the oven and toast the bread for 20 minutes, until golden.
- Preheat an outdoor or indoor grill to high or increase the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C). Grill the peaches for 3 to 4 minutes on each side on an outdoor or indoor grill, then grill the onion wedges for 5 to 7 minutes on each side until they are caramelized and tender. Remove the peaches and onion from the grill and set them aside to cool. Alternatively, use the oven. Arrange the peaches on a parchment paper–lined baking sheet, cut-side up, and add the onion wedges. Drizzle with oil, transfer the baking sheet to the oven, and roast for 20 minutes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Combine the toasted bread, tomatoes, cucumbers, and grilled or roasted peaches and onion wedges in a large bowl. Pour the vinaigrette over top, season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper, add the basil, and toss well. Serve immediately.