Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
If you like to mix tempo runs into your training mix, try cruise intervals instead. This workout provides the same lactate-threshold improvement as a steady-state tempo but breaks up the monotony with shorter segments so you’re not staring at the digital display for 20 minutes. Great for runners of all levels—let your breathing and heart rate guide your speed.
Challenge Level: Moderate
1. Start with a 5- to 10-minute warm-up at a perceived effort level of 3 on a 1–10 scale.
2. Increase speed until your effort rises to 6, and stay at this level for 5 minutes.
3. Drop to an effort level of 4 for 2 minutes to recover.
4. Complete a total of 3 to 5 of these 5-minute efforts followed by 2-minute recoveries, depending on your fitness level.
5. Cool down for 5 to 10 minutes at an effort level of 3.
More great treadmill workouts to whip you into shape.
Track Your Running Progress With This Treadmill Workout