Dominate the Darkness
Stay safe with our five rules of night running.
1. Run against traffic. This rule applies day or night. Running against traffic gives drivers a better chance to spot you.
2. Assume others cannot see you—especially drivers and cyclists. Since you can see them better than they can see you, yield to cars.
3. Let someone know where you’re going and when you expect to return. These new apps can let a friend or family member know your route while you’re on the run. Just an added protection to keep you safe at night.
4. Leave headphones at home, wear only one earbud or keep the volume low; acute hearing compensates for reduced visibility. Definitely considering bring your phone with you in case of emergency.
5. Add bright colors, reflectivity and glow-in-the-dark apparel to your running kit—the more the better! Not sure what type of reflective clothes or gear to buy? We picked out a bunch of our favorites. Being safe has never been so stylish!