This is the perfect soup to serve with Paleo bread grilled cheese sandwiches. My kids love to dip the sandwich into the soup. You can leave the dash of red pepper flakes out if your kids don’t like it spicy. Of course, make extra for midweek dinners. You will find that making this old standby with real bone broth adds a totally new depth to this soup.
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup
Serves 4 to 6
- 2½ lb (1.2 kg) organic Roma tomatoes, halved
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt to taste, we recommend Selina Naturally Celtic
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- Dash of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (15-oz [425-g]) can organic diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (40 g) basil, freshly chopped, plus more for topping
- 4 cups (960 ml) Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Spread the tomatoes on a baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside. In a large stockpot, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons (30 ml) of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Add the canned tomatoes, basil and broth. Stir in the oven-roasted tomatoes. Cook for about 30 minutes over medium-low heat. Use an immersion blender to purée the soup in the stockpot or transfer the soup to a food processor or blender to blend. Purée until almost completely smooth or leave some chunks to add texture to your soup. Top with fresh basil and cracked pepper and serve.