Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
These days being “busy” seems to be a trend that too many people get caught up in. How much of of your busy life can be eliminated, and are you using it as an excuse to not run or do other things you enjoy? If this is your excuse to not fit in a run into your day, or meet up with friends for an easy 3-miler, maybe it’s time to take a look at what exactly is making you too busy to run.
The most popular excuse when it comes to running seems to be, “I don’t have time.” Well, guess what? No one really does, so we do our best to make time. If you really want to do something, like go a run a few days a week, you will make the time to do it.
Before you use the “I don’t have time” excuse again, ask yourself these questions:
- When is the best time of the day to fit in a quick run—20 minutes or less?
- What absolutely needs to be done today and what can wait?
- What on my to-do list will provide the same benefits as running?
- If not today, what day(s) this week can I schedule my run(s)?
- Is “busy” the real reason I can’t run or is it something else?
Once you explore all of the above questions you may realize you’re not that busy after all and can head out for a run!