Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
*Courtesy of Running On Veggies
This recipe was inspired by IronWill Kids. Their mission is to empower kids to use their voice in the fight against childhood obesity and to ignite a chain reaction of healthy living! I hope to spread their message by creating this recipe – a kid-friendly recipe that kids can make and enjoy.
Ironwill Kids runs in school and in after school programs to educate children about healthier eating habits. This recipe would be a perfect after school snack or a fun topping to add to my Hulk Green Smoothie. The recipe that IronWill Kids uses for their “Morning Crunch” contains corn flakes and honey which can easily be swapped for some different ingredients. So I took the recipe they gave me and tweaked it a bit to my liking.
IronWill Kids Morning Crunch:
- 4 cups of Corn Flakes– When buying corn flakes make sure they are non-gmo and organic!
- 1 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 cup sunflower seed butter
- 1/2 cup honey— I prefer to use whole dried or fresh fruits
- 2 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
Directions: Mix corn flakes, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds in a bowl. Then add sunflower seed butter, honey, cinnamon and salt. Mix well to combine.
Here is my version of the recipe. I added dried fruit for its natural sweetness and served it with unsweetened coconut yogurt. I swapped out corn flakes for puffed kamut cereal but any unsweetened puffed grain can work here.
- 3 cups puffed kamut cereal
- 1/4 sunflower seeds
- 1/4 sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup goji berries or any dried fruit
- 1/2 cup nut butter
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In a large mixing bowl combine puffed kamut, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and goji berries.
- In a separate small bowl combine nut butter, coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Combine your cereal mixture and nut butter mixture till evenly coated.
- Serve with coconut yogurt, top a smoothie, with apple sauce or as is!
Store in the refrigerator to preserve freshness.