*Courtesy of Running On Veggies
I’ve never really been a fan of protein bars simply because I have never had a reason to eat them. Whenever possible, I try to find whole real foods to eat. I find so many protein bars to be glorified candy bars with tons of unnecessary ingredients. But with a crazy month of traveling and school ahead of me, I knew I would need a quick simple bar that I can easily grab when in a pinch. I’v also been working with clients who needed something easy to eat after a workout. The key to making any type of portable food is keep it as REAL as possible… so thats what I did! These are no bake bars. Just make sure you leave yourself enough time to let them set. And feel free to switch up the nut butters and coconut! I’ve made these bars with both peanut butter and crushed peanuts and they were amazing! You can’t go wrong!
Related: No Bake Almond Butter Cookies
Almond Coconut Protein Bars
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup puffed brown rice cereal
- 2 servings of vegan protein powder
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup creamy almond butter
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted to drizzle (I use Lily’s since it is sweetened with stevia)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, chopped almonds, brown rice cereal, protein, coconut, cinnamon and salt.
- In a medium sauce pan add the dates and water. Simmer over medium-low heat until the dates begin to break down, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir the almond butter with the dates until everything is combined and smooth.
- Remove from heat and pour over the dry ingredients.
- Stir to fully combine dry and wet ingredients.
- Pour into the 8 inch prepared pan that is sprayed with non-stick spray and lined with parchment
- Press down the mixture evenly in an 8 inch pan.
- Optional drizzle with melted chocolate, crushed almonds and sea salt.
- Refrigerate for at least 60 minutes before cutting. Store in the freezer. You can cut them into 8 large bars or 16 smaller ones.
Related: 10 Best All-Natural Bars