Recipe From Eat Drink Shine by the Blissful Sisters, Jennifer, Jessica and Jill Emich
Hijiki is a type of seaweed. Its health benefits include balancing hormonal activity, improved energy levels and strengthening bones. This salad is a powerhouse of nutrition and delivers in flavor. Pan-seared fish or chicken is a great addition to this salad.
Hijiki and Kale Salad with Orange Tahini Dressing
SERVES 3 TO 4
- 1/4 cup hijiki seaweed
- 1/2 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. gluten-free tamari
- 2 cups shredded kale leaves
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup peeled julienned cucumbers
- 2 Tbsp . sesame seeds, for garnish (optional)
- Orange Tahini Dressing (below)
Rinse hijiki, cover with water and soak for 20–30 minutes until tender. Drain, rinse and set aside. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, toss shiitakes with olive oil and tamari. Marinate for 15 minutes. To the bowl of marinated mushrooms, add kale, carrots, cucumbers and sesame seeds, along with the drained hijiki. Drizzle the salad with the dressing to taste and toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Orange Tahini Dressing
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/3 cup raw tahini(sesame seed paste)
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp. tamari
- Sea salt to taste
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend for 1 minute until creamy. NOTE: Tahini can be expensive. You can easily make your own by blending 1 cup sesame seeds with 2 Tbsp. mild olive oil or sesame oil. This homemade sauce can be stored for up to 1 month in the refrigerator.
Other recipes from Eat, Drink, Shine: