Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Boston is just a week away. In the last couple of weeks, I have had three dreams where I forgot something important for the race. In one of the dreams. I brought two left foot running shoes and didn’t realize it until I was at the starting line, which made me just a tad bit stressed. I think my anxiety of not being prepared for the race is manifesting itself through my dreams. To help make sure that I get everything into my carry on suitcase before I take off, I created a checklist of my must-pack items for race day!
- Running shoes— a brand new pair of my favorites with about 30 miles on them.
- My Jaybird wireless headphones.
- My Garmin 620.
- A moisture-wicking sports bra
- My jersey and shorts. No matter what the temperature is, I will be wearing shorts.
- Arm sleeves
- BodyGlide. I chafe a lot.
- As many hair ties and bobby pins as possible. I hate having hair in my face while I run, so I make sure to pack plenty of these to avoid this problem.
- A headband to double ensure that no hair touches my face while I run.
- Three to four Gus— my fuel of choice for race day.
- My waterproof Spibelt. This is a necessity to carry my phone, fuel and key during the race.
- A tube of chapstick that also goes in my Spibelt. Chapped lips = torture in my opinion.
- A trashbag or two to sit on the grass with while waiting for the race.
- A killer playlist downloaded onto my iPod.
- My Runner’s Passport that is needed to get my bib for the marathon.
- My sunglasses. I cannot run in the sunlight without them.
- Extra safety pins.
- Throw away gloves. I’ll probably want them in the beginning and will toss them at some point along the course.
- My favorite pair of Feetures running socks.
- Clothes to wear before the race that I can toss.
- ALL CHARGERS. My phone, headphones, iPod and GPS chargers are all ready to go in the suitcase. I kind of love electronics and need them to be fully charged on race day.
- Compression socks, sweatpants, a sweatshirt, flip flops and a candy for the flight home right after the race. I’m going to look quite stylish in the airport.
Did I forget anything? What are some of your must-haves on race day?