Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
We’re all busy during the work week, but we don’t have to sacrifice eating healthy to our hectic schedules. In this twist on the classic PB&J sandwich, runners will get the nutritious fuel they need with the creamy, peanut buttery taste they love.
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter or coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp. + 1 tsp. honey
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 3 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- 3 Tbsp. shelled unsalted sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup unsalted natural creamy peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp. chili sauce, such as Sriracha (optional)
- 1 tsp. lime zest
- 1 tsp. grated or finely minced fresh ginger
- 8 cups salad greens, such as mesculen
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1-1/2 cups sliced cooked chicken or turkey breast
- 1-1/2 cups raspberries
Heat butter or coconut oil and 1 tablespoon honey in a skillet over medium heat until melted. Add oats, walnuts, sunflower seeds and a pinch of salt to skillet and heat until oats are toasted, about 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Be careful not to burn the oats. Stir in the mint. Spread mixture on a cutting board to cool. The granola will become crispy upon resting. In a small bowl, whisk together peanut butter, rice vinegar, soy sauce, 1 teaspoon honey, chili sauce if using and 2 tablespoons warm water until smooth. If needed, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until a pourable consistency is reached. Place salad greens, carrots and cherry tomatoes in a large compartment of a bento box. Top with cooked meat and raspberries. In separate compartments, place granola and peanut dressing.
Nutrition Info Per Serving:
423 calories | 22 grams fat | 27 grams protein | 34 grams carbs | 225 milligrams sodium