From Simply Vibrant by Anya Kassoff © 2018 by Anya Kassoff. Photographs © 2018 by Masha Davydova. Reprinted in arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc.
Spanish smoked paprika is one of my favorite spices. The spice, which comes from hot peppers that have been smoked dry and then ground, can add just the right amount of deep, savory flavor and medium-level spice to many dishes. In the winter, when I roast squash and roots, I often give them a pinch of smoked paprika, which takes them to that next level of heartiness. I also love adding it to all kinds of grain dishes, marinades and soups.
Everyone should have a simple, cold-weather stew in their repertoire, and this is mine. It’s made up of common pantry ingredients and familiar produce. The addition of smoked paprika helps elevate the commonplace flavors and does its job beautifully, giving the tomato-heavy stew some smoky, peppery punches. The active cooking time here is minimal, and the result is the kind of solid, hot stew we crave on cozy autumn evenings.
Lentil Tomato Stew With Turnips And Collard Greens
Serves 6 to 8
- 12 to 16 collard green leaves, from about two bunches – hard stems removed and chopped
- Sea salt – to taste
- 2 tablespoons neutral coconut oil
- 1 large yellow onion – chopped
- 6 garlic cloves – sliced
- 1 jalapeño – seeded, finely chopped
- 2 to 3 large carrots – diced
- 1 large or 2 to 3 small turnips – diced into cubes
- 1 cup green lentils – soaked overnight
- 2 teaspoons cumin – freshly ground
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper – to taste
- 2 to 3 bay leaves (optional)
- 28 oz canned/boxed crushed tomatoes
- Cover collard greens with water in a medium pan. Bring to a boil, add salt, lower the heat to a strong simmer and cook, partially covered for 1 hour. Meanwhile, slice and dice all the vegetables and prepare the spices. Drain collard greens, reserving the cooking liquid for the base of this stew, set aside.
- Warm coconut oil in the same pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3 minutes. Add garlic, jalapeño, carrots, turnips, stir to coat and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add lentils, cumin, smoked paprika, pepper, salt and collard greens and give everything a stir. Add enough reserved cooking liquid to achieve a thick soup consistency, keeping in mind that you will be adding crushed tomatoes later, which will add more liquid. Add bay leaves if using. Bring to a boil, lower to a simmer and cook 20-30 minutes or until vegetables and lentils are cooked through.
- Add crushed tomatoes, bring back to a simmer and cook 10 more minutes. Adjust seasoning and serve immediately as is, over rice or any one of your favorite grains.