Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Republished with permission of Page Street Publishing from Nourishing Superfood Bowls by Lindsay Cotter. Cotter is the gluten-free nutrition specialist, full-time recipe developer and food photographer at the blog Cotter Crunch. As a wife to a former pro athlete, her focus is on good food, good fuel and feeding active people with delicious, gluten-free recipes.
Healing Green Smoothie Bowls
There’s so much nutrition you can pack into a bowl! This smoothie bowl from the new book Nourishing Superfood Bowls makes for a delicious and healthful start to your day. What makes these smoothie bowls so restorative? Well, lots actually! Kiwi, avocado, cinnamon and ginger are all healing for the stomach and soothing for digestion. A handful of spinach adds more vitamin C content as well as boosts immunity.
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 2 frozen bananas
- ½ avocado, skin and pit removed (see notes)
- 1 kiwi, skin removed, plus extra slices for topping
- 2 slices peeled fresh ginger root, or 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp tahini or creamy cashew butter
- ⅔–¾ cup coconut drinking milk (see note, below)
- 1 to 2 Tbsp maple syrup or honey, plus more for topping
- 2 tsp green powder or spirulina
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed or chia seeds, for topping
- Sliced strawberries, for topping
Note: The avocado makes this bowl thick, like a combo of a pudding and a smoothie. Be sure to use coconut drinking milk rather than canned coconut milk. The less you add, the thicker the bowl will be.
In a blender, combine the banana, avocado, kiwi, ginger, spinach, cinnamon, tahini, coconut milk and maple syrup. Blend until thick. You might have to stop a few times and scrape down the sides.
Once blended, add the green powder and blend again until mixed. Pour into two bowls. Top the bowls with the flaxseed, kiwi and strawberry slices. You can add extra maple syrup on top, if desired.