Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Raw Cheddar and Broccoli Soup
- 3 tbsp (45 g) butter or ghee
- 1 large carrot, shredded
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- Sea salt to taste, we recommend Selina Naturally Celtic
- Freshly cracked pepper
- 3 cups (720 ml) Bonafide Provisions Chicken Bone Broth
- 1 cup (240 ml) raw milk
- 1 cup (240 ml) raw heavy cream
- 3 cups (525 g) fresh broccoli florets, chopped small
- 8 oz (227 g) raw shredded sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
Melt the butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, then add the carrot and shallot, season with salt and pepper and sauté until the carrots are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth and heat. Add the milk and cream, season with salt and pepper and increase heat to medium-high to bring the soup to a simmer. Turn the heat to medium, then simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the broccoli florets to the pot and cover to simmer for 20 more minutes or until the broccoli is tender. Remove the pot from the heat, then add cheese in three batches, stirring until it’s completely smooth before adding the next batch. For a thinner soup, mash broccoli with a potato masher or leave in whole pieces. Serve with fresh raw cheddar on top and fresh cracked pepper.