Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
*This originally appeared in part on Nourish Move Love
This is the perfect recipe to enjoy during the chilly days of fall and winter. It’s a creamy soup, plump-full of nourishing and natural detoxifying superfoods that will warm you up and make you feel good inside and out!
The combined ingredients—such as ginger, curry powder, turmeric, butternut squash and kale—are rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties. This soup makes for a very satisfying addition to any meal as it provides 7 grams of fiber and a good source of healthy fats from the avocado.
For an added nutrient bonus, use bone broth or stir in 1-2 Tbsp. collagen hydrolysate to your bowl before eating. These two ingredients provide a wholesome source of gut-healing nutrients. This soup is also vegan and paleo-friendly (not to mention gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, nut-free, vegan and very freezer-friendly).
Creamy Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
- 4 cups (32 oz.) organic chicken broth or homemade bone broth
- 1 medium butternut squash, cooked and peeled* (~3-4 cups cooked)
- 1 medium apple, roughly chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 ½ tsp. curry powder
- 1 tsp. turmeric (optional-or additional curry powder)
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, grated (or 1 tsp. ground ginger)
- 1 avocado (may substitute 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk)
- 3 cups kale, stems removed and roughly chopped or greens of choice
- 1 tsp. of sea salt & ground pepper to taste
- Optional: 1 lb. chicken, shredded
- Optional: chopped green onions, white and green parts
- In a large kettle or pot on medium heat, add the broth, squash, apple, zucchini, onion, garlic, curry powder, turmeric and ginger. Bring to boil and then turn down the heat to simmer.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Place soup and avocado in a blender or food processor and process until smooth. Then return to kettle or pot. You may also blend soup with an immersion hand blender.
- Add chopped kale, optional shredded chicken and sea salt and pepper to taste. Bring the soup to a simmer and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- To serve, top with chopped green onions.