This Dessert Recipe Will Take Everyone By Surprise
The dessert is known as Apple Surprise and doesn't include any extra sugar except for those found naturally in the fruit.
Heading out the door? Read this article on the new Outside+ app available now on iOS devices for members! Download the app.
Apple Surprise: diced fruit baked with a nutritious crumb topping
The surprise here is that this is so good with only the natural sugars of the fruit. If you don’t want to use sugar, choose a sweet apple, such as Honeycrisp.
Apple Surprise Dessert Recipe
- 4 cups chopped apples (or other fruit)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar (optional)
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup dried tart cherries (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (or other nut)
- 2 Tbsp. ground chia seeds (or ground flaxseed)
- 1 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix chopped apples with sugar, if using, and place in a greased square or small baking dish. In a large bowl, stir together dry ingredients and mix with coconut oil. Spoon topping evenly over apples. Bake for 45 minutes.