These two holiday party recipes, from nutritionist Katie Casto Hynes, are easy to make ahead, delicious and healthy. And the most surprising part- they are both vegan! You may find yourself making these all year round.
Walnut Basil Pâté
Time: 10 minutes tops!
Serving: 1 to 1½ cups
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup basil
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes (dry)
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ to ¾ cup water
- salt to taste
1. Blend all ingredients in food processor or high-speed blender.
2. Add more water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
3. Serve with your favorite raw veggies (carrots, snap peas, bell peppers, etc).
Related: 3 Tips For Breaking Holiday Bloat
Two-Bite Frittatas (egg-free)
Time: 45 minutes
Serving: 20-24 mini frittatas
- 1 (14-ounce) package soft silken tofu
- ½ cup chickpea flour
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot or cornstarch
- ½ cup water
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combo 1: 2 cups spinach + ¼ cup sundried tomatoes + 1 shallot
Combo 2: 2 cups broccoli florets + 2 scallions
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
2. Combine all base ingredients in food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
3. Choose and chop add-in ingredients. Add to the food processor and pulse to combine.
4. Spray mini muffin pan with oil. Pour or scoop the batter into each cup.
5. Bake for 25 minutes or until the top is firm.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes. Gradually flip the muffin pan over to release. Serve to guests!
NOTE: If using a standard size muffin tin, this recipe makes 12 mini frittatas.
Related: Running A Healthy Holiday Party
Katie Casto Hynes received her Masters of Science in Nutrition & Exercise Physiology from Teachers College, Columbia University. A former collegiate athlete turned competitive marathon runner, her passion for fueling the body with healthy foods inspired her to enter this field. She has worked with athletes to help them improve their performance through nutrition and proper race fueling. Katie can often be seen running through Brooklyn and chatting about her latest kitchen adventures.