Hell On Hills
The name for a Halloween-themed race with a ton of incline can’t get much better than “Hell on Hills.” Lucky for runners (is luck the right word?), this race exists–and it sure sounds tough. For the second year in a row, an estimated 200 runners will participate in a 5K that winds along roads with some of the sharpest inclines in Pittsburgh, Pa. (including the second steepest road in the world). The race itself actually starts with Canton Avenue, the road with the steepest incline officially recorded in the entire U.S.
Scheduled to begin tomorrow at 8 a.m., locals who love dressing up for races will be psyched to participate in this holiday race–even if it is significantly more difficult than traditional Halloween runs. After climbing the first 20 percent incline of Canton Avenue, participants will jog, walk or zombie-crawl four additional hills and, fittingly, will pass through a cemetery, as well.
Race organizers have already expressed interest in continuing the tradition with a third annual Hell on Hills in 2018. In the meantime, Pittsburgh-based runners interested in participating can still register for this year’s race. For those that call other cities home, we’ve rounded up a list of five other Halloween-themed races taking place this weekend.
2017 Halloween Races
- Who doesn’t love a Midnight Monster Dash? A costume contest precedes this 5K run in Stevens Point, Wis., along with other kid-friendly activities before the monsters are let loose at midnight.
- The United Airlines Rock ‘n’ Roll Los Angeles Half Marathon takes place on Sunday–and, in partnership with Stan Lee’s L.A. Comic Con, this year’s race promises a plethora of runners decked out in their Halloween finest.
- For the Great Pumpkin Haul in Denver, Colo., runners are only required to run 2 miles. The catch? They have to do so while carrying pumpkins.
- The 5K Great GO! race in St. Louis features candy stops in addition to water stations along the route, so runners can trick-or-treat as they go. Other distances (a half marathon, 10K and 1-mile fun run) are also available.
- The EVL Half Marathon and 5K takes runners around a loop in Ellicottville, NY and encourages all participants to arrive in costume.