Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Ironwill Kids, a leader in nutrition education for children, created a national campaign to put a new twist on healthy eating—one that is totally fun! Through the humorous video, “Show IWK Your Smoothie Stash,” runners, ranging from grade-school students, to college athletes, to Olympic runners, are making healthy smoothies and sharing their “smoothie stashes” on social media:
The athletes invite others to participate and further the social ripple effect by using #SmoothieStash and @Ironwillkids on their own social channels, like Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
Top-level Olympians who have participated include:
- Alysia Montaño, our May cover runner and USA’s fastest 800-meter runner. She is a five-time USA Outdoor champion and 2012 Olympian. She recently set a new national 4 x 800m record with her teammates at the World Relays.
- Molly Huddle, American record holder in the 5K and 2012 Olympian.
- Kim Smith, a three-time Olympian (2004, 2008, 2012).
- Emma Coburn, the American Record holder in the 3,000m steeplechase and 2012 Olympian.
- Kara Goucher, a two-time Olympian (2008, 2012) and 10K bronze medalist at the world championships. She also graced the cover of our 2014 November/December issue.
“Ironwill Kids breaks the rules. We come up with creative ways to teach kids and families to live healthier lives,” says IWK CEO, Gary Salmirs. “Our goal is create a social movement that everyone can be a part of and to get people thinking about healthy eating in a fun and engaging way.”
The smoothie stash campaign will continue through the rest of the year.