5 Boroughs, 5 Murals
We’re all familiar with the traditional ways in which running encourages creativity–most notably evident at large race expos, where clothing and shoe designers display their wares and often (especially in the case of the NYC Marathon) design gear exclusively for one substantial race.
At this year’s TCS NYC Marathon, there’s another important way in which running has inspired art. One of the marathon’s major sponsors, New Balance, commissioned five local artists to create murals throughout the city–one in each borough, to be exact. In the days leading up to the marathon, runners, their friends and families, and visitors in general have been encouraged to stop by the murals while they’re playing tourist and snap photos of themselves in front of each. All five murals are included in the slideshow above. Below, find details about who created the works of art and where each one is located.
- Staten Island: 827 Castleton Ave. Artist: David Park.
- Queens: 30th Ave. at Wellington Court. Artist: Doves.
- The Bronx: Bruckner Blvd. at Lincoln Ave. Artist: Wayne.
- Manhattan: 1st Ave. at St. Marks. Artist: Ron English.
- Brooklyn: 307 McKibbin St. Artist: AvOne.
Interested in stopping by one of the murals while in town? Be sure to take a photo and tag #TeamWR in your post on Instagram!