Get access to everything we publish when you sign up for Outside+.
Being a beginner at anything can be scary—here are a few reasons you should embrace your newbie status!
- Every day brings a rapid improvement in your fitness, even if it doesn’t feel like it. Once you’re a seasoned runner, you’ll think back fondly on a time when it was possible to run faster and farther every day.
- You have an excuse to buy a ton of new gear—including cool shoes!
- Running helps you see your city or town in a totally new light and explore side streets you might never experience otherwise.
- You will develop a keen awareness of muscles you didn’t know existed. Thanks, post-run soreness!
- The feeling of accomplishment and growing confidence is second to none.
Danielle Cemprola lives in South Carolina with her husband and Rottweiler. When she’s not running, Danielle blogs at trexrunner.com.