From Simply Vibrant by Anya Kassoff © 2018 by Anya Kassoff. Reprinted in arrangement with Roost Books, an imprint of Shambhala Publications, Inc.
From the new book Simply Vibrant, which features colorful, plant-based recipes, this dish has all the well-loved, familiar flavors and textures of a good taco in a bowl—there is crunch from the bright salsa and purple cabbage, sweetness and spice from the chipotle-roasted sweet potato and cashew cream, buttery chunks of avocado and piney notes from cilantro. All the components make up a great salad, but they can also be served inside taco shells if you want something more substantial.
Naked Taco Bowl
Serves 4 to 6
- 2 medium peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- ½ Tbsp neutral coconut oil
- Sea salt, to taste
- Ground chipotle, to taste, for sprinkling
- 1½ cups cooked or canned black beans
- Kernels of 1 corn ear
- 1–2 tomatoes, chopped
- ¼ red onion, finely chopped
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- Approximately 1 cup cilantro leaves, plus more for serving
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 lime, plus more for serving
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small cabbage or lettuce head, thinly shredded
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Arrange sweet potato cubes on a parchment paper–covered baking tray. Add oil, salt and ground chipotle. Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until soft.
- Combine beans, corn kernels, tomatoes, onion, jalapeno and cilantro leaves in a medium bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, squeeze juice of lime over and drizzle with olive oil. Toss to combine.
- Divide shredded cabbage among bowls. Top with roasted sweet potatoes, black bean salsa and avocado. Serve with a lime-chipotle cream or avocado mayo (or dressing of choice), more lime and cilantro.
A Healthy Quesadilla Recipe You’ll Love
The Meatball Appetizer Everyone Will Be Talking About