Inspired by Leah Garrad-Cole’s new cookbook It All Begins With Food: From Baby’s First Foods to Wholesome Family Meals, we collected recipes designed for kids that the whole family can enjoy. Here’s a quesadilla recipe that goes far beyond the cheese-tortilla combo we’re familiar with.
Related: The Meatball Appetizer Everyone Will Be Talking About
Quesadillas are the ultimate quick lunchtime staple, and the possible variations are endless. This savory and sweet version is one of my favorites. A quick word about flour tortillas: store-bought ones often contain a long list of preservatives, so it’s worth taking the time to carefully read the labels and buy cleaner versions from the refrigerator section of natural food stores.
Chicken, Apple, Spinach and Cheddar Quesadillas
Serves two small children or one big kid
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 small whole-grain flour tortillas (gluten-free, if preferred)
- 1/4 cup shredded cooked chicken
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped baby spinach leaves
- 1 tsp. hemp hearts for added nutrition (sounds odd, but they blend in really well and add omegas and fiber) (optional)
- 1/2 apple, sliced
Sprinkle half the cheese on a tortilla, then top with chicken, spinach, the hemp hearts, if using, and slices of apple. Sprinkle on the rest of the cheese, then place the other tortilla on top. In a skillet over medium-high heat, cook for 3 minutes on each side, until the apples are soft. Using a pizza cutter, slice into wedges to serve.
Alternate Filling Combos:
- black beans, cheese and red bell pepper
- pear and Manchego cheese
- peanut butter, dried coconut and banana
Make This Kale Walnut Pesto for Healthy Fat and Nutritious Greens
5 Reasons Runners Should Eat Cheese
Mushrooms are the New Superfood–Here’s How to Eat More