Of course you can always make old-fashioned oats the traditional way and have some oatmeal, but here are ways to get a bit creative.
Give Old-Fashioned Oats a Standing O
This modest grain can be found in most people’s homes, but it’s seriously underrated. Oats are heart-healthy and filled with fiber. Here are five ways to use old-fashioned oats that go beyond oatmeal.
1. Grind into flour and sub in your next recipe that calls for traditional white flour.
2. Put it in a smoothie to make it rich, creamy and hearty.
3. Add to a soup to thicken.
4. Soak overnight in water or nut milk—along with superfoods like chia or flaxseeds—to have a cold-style oatmeal breakfast (1 cup liquid to 1/2 cup oats).
5. Top muffins before placing them in the oven to add that perfect rustic touch.