You'll never guess the healthy ingredients in these bite-sized desserts.
Without a doubt, my favorite ice cream is Mint Chocolate Chip. I remember eating it on the beach as a child. With its vibrant green color and cool mint flavor, it was always my first choice. As I got older and started to learn more about nutrition, I totally eliminated that childhood treat. I honestly didn’t even want it anymore. (It’s amazing how your cravings change when you eat clean!)
But I have such fond memories of those summer days on the beach so I knew I should try to create my own healthier version of the classic ice cream but with a twist. I knew it had to be green with a creamy texture and that cool fresh mint taste.
My first “job” ever was selling cakes and pies from my home. Thinking back to those days when I would make so many pies each week that my back would ache. But I also remembered how important it had been for me to share my passion for health and wellness. Lucky for me, when my “business” became too big and demanding, I was able to transition it into what has now become my Running On Veggies! Now I can share my famous raw, vegan, and date sweetened pies with you without spending all those hours on my feet!
These mini mint chocolate pies offer great portion control and make the perfect gift because they are just so cute. They look like a decadent treat but when you see the recipe you will realize how healthy they actually are. I would even venture to say that they are good for you!
To get that rich green color, I used Spirulina from Spiral Spring. Spirulina is a green powder rich in vitamins and minerals. It is most commonly used in smoothies as an add-in superfood. Spirulina has an earthy taste and is the perfect food for athletes. Here are some of its benefits: Energy and endurance boosting, muscle repair, skin rejuvenation, and toxin cleansing. Just remember that too much of it will take over the taste of everything else in your smoothie so be careful. You can stir some in water for a quick dose or even take it in a pill form. Or you can make these Mint Chocolate Chip tartlets. If you want to give Spirulina a try, go to Spiral Spring and use the code OnVeg20 for 20% off.
They look really complicated but fear not! They are sooo easy to make. Start with the crust and then add the filling. You will impress your crowd with this fancy dessert and they will be shocked when they find out what’s in them.
Mint Chocolate Chip Tartlets
- 2 cups of nuts (I used mixture of almond and walnuts)
- 1/2 cup coco powder
- 2 cups dates (soaked in water to soften)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1. In a food processor add nuts and coco powder. Grind until a flour-like substance forms.
2. Add in dates, vanilla and cinnamon. A dough like mixture should form.
3. Once everything is combined, form 12-13 little tartlets by taking a little more than a tablespoon-size ball and sticking your thumb in the middle to hollow out a little hollow for the filling.
- 2 medium size avocados
- 1 cup dates
- 1/2 cup fresh mint or 1/2-1 teaspoon mint extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Spiral Spring spirulina
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup stevia sweetened chocolate chips
1. Using the same food processor you used for the crust (be sure its clean) add in avocado, dates, mint, spirulina and vanilla extract. Process till smooth and creamy. Taste and adjust flavor as you like.
2. Fold in chocolate chips
3. Line tartlets on a tray and, using a teaspoon, fill them with the filling.
4. Freeze for around an hour before serving. Store in the freezer and serve frozen.
Optional: Drizzle chocolate on top.