October 23 2017
Kelly Roberts of Run, Selfie, Repeat describes the struggle she had with returning to running after an injury broke her heart.
There’s no doubt about it, the true unsung heroes of race day are the spectators. Good race or bad race, a funny or inspirational spectator sign is nothing short of a blessing. When your quads are screaming and you’re ready to fall over from exhaustion, a funny spectator sign isn’t just a distraction, it’s a lifeline. I’ve seen many a funny sign in my day but I wanted to share 14 of my favorite spectator signs with all of you.
1. Have you seen Kelly anyone? How far back is Kelly?Photo via @KellyKKRoberts
My Mom stepped up her game when she dragged her behind out of bed at 5 in the morning to cheer for me in the San Francisco Marathon. She said the runner’s reactions to the signs were the best part. They would say, “We saw her stop in at a bar!” or “She’s still at mile 2!” which kept her entertained until I got to where she was cheering. (Note the folding chair. Comfort while spectating is important.)
2. Beyonce never ran a marathon.Photo via @pastryschiff
It’s true. She may be Queen but Beyonce has never run a marathon.
3. Marathon and Chill?Photo via @KellyKKRoberts
Perfect for a Valentine’s Day marathon like the LA Marathon.
4. It’s okay to cry.Photo via @lineke_kroon
Just a friendly reminder.
5. Run like Prince Harry runs from commitment.Photo via @KellyKKRoberts
Guaranteed to make you run faster!
Or an equally funny option…
6. Run like millennials run from commitment.Photo via New York Road Runners
This will make anyone over 35 laugh.
7. Last Damn Bridge.Photo via @clidinazionale
For that hilly race, park yourself on the last bridge and bring joy to every runner’s race like this woman did.
8. That bad tinder date is behind you, run faster!Photo via @SamanthaRoberts
I just about fell over when I saw my sister’s sign at the 2013 TCS NYC Marathon, that’s how hard I laughed.
9. Shake Shack is only 10 blocks past the finish line.Photo via @delmarfoto
It’s funny because it’s true.
10. Need money for next marathon. Please help. God Bless.Photo via @KellyKKRoberts
Every single runner can relate! (And who knows, maybe you’ll even make a few bucks!)
11. Run like Maury just told you, “You are the father!”Photo via @KellyKKRoberts
How can you not laugh?!
12. Professional spectator.Photo via @guinners
Perfect for the supportive friend, family member, or significant other in your life who is always waking up at dawn selflessly to cheer you on in that millionth half marathon.
13. Free wifi ahead run faster!
The best sign for anyone running an international race. (The wifi struggle is real!)
14. John, you’re a cheating bastard.Photo via @KellyKKRoberts
Just the distraction a runner needs around mile 20 of a marathon! You’ll spend the next 6 miles thinking about John!
Let’s be honest—there’s nothing better than a funny spectator sign. What’s the funniest spectator sign you’ve ever seen at a race? Let me know! Tweet them to me and Women’s running at @KellyKKRoberts and @WomensRunning! Until next time, #RunSelfieRepeat.