Get the most out of your workout by nailing this pre-workout warm-up.
Warming up is always important, but it’s never more crucial than before a high-intensity workout. A proper one will enable you to perform better and reduce your risk of straining a muscle.
Here’s how to do it:
- Jog slowly for at least 5 minutes and up to 15 minutes.
- Complete a handful of mobility movements. For example: Start by taking 10 giant lunge steps forward with each leg. Then walk 10 paces forward while grabbing a knee and hugging it to your chest with each step. Next, walk 10 paces forward while kicking a straight leg out in front of you with each step (“goose steps”). Finally, run sideways to the left for 10 seconds while swiveling your hips to the left and to the right (“grapevine”) and then repeat in the other direction. If you want to learn a series of dynamic warm-up drills, try this routine.
- Run three 100m accelerations. Start at a moderate pace and gradually accelerate toward a relaxed sprint. Rest for 20 seconds and repeat.
- Get moving on that speed workout!
- Be sure to jog slowly for 5 to 15 minutes following your workout.