Don't sabotage your miles before you even begin. Have a great run with these tips.
*Courtesy of POPSUGAR Fitness
Even if you head on a run with the right attitude, sometimes it’s easy to get in your own way. And you may not even realize you’re doing something that’s harming your workout. For new runners that can’t seem to get into the swing of things, these quick tips will help you out.
- Dress right: While there’s no need to invest in anything fancy if you’re brand new to a running routine, be sure to keep speed and comfort in mind when it comes to your wardrobe and shoe of choice. To choose the perfect pair of kicks to support your precious feet, watch our video for tips on how to pick a running shoe.
- Love your warmup: Whether you’re going a short or long distance, warming up is necessary for a safe and injury-free run. Get your heart jumping with a series of jumping jacks, a quick power walk, or this five-move dynamic warmup. Just a little cardio will make a world of difference.
- Fuel your body right: Overloading on a huge meal right before a run is going to make the whole experience a struggle. Choosing the right pre-workout snack puts you on the right track for a great run.
- Stay hydrated: If you’re dealing with fatigue, muscle cramps, and headaches regularly, poor hydration may be to blame. Be sure you’re staying hydrated all day long for the best workout possible.
- Pick a solid pace: Kicking things off too quickly will lead you to burn out fast as well. Don’t be afraid to start a little slower, or try out a running playlist to help you keep a steady pace. Try this half-hour running playlist that will help you run three miles in 30 minutes.
Why a Moderate Workout Is More Than OK
This Rule Could Be the Key to Losing Weight
Banish Your Belly Pooch With 3 Ab-Sculpting Moves
The Gear Our Fitness Editors Can’t Live Without This Summer
Whether You Want to Lose Weight or Fight a Cold, We’ve Got the Smoothie For You